In order to raise the awareness of the many difficult life issues faced by people in their own community, Rivers students are encouraged to engage in local community efforts in many ways. Following is a list of some of the ways students can either volunteer individually with nonprofits or engage in community work through organized Rivers activities.
After school: Students work weekly at placements such as Waltham Boys and Girls club, and Creative Start.
Summer: Students work independently at community placements such as academic enrichment programs for elementary school children at Immigrant Family Services institute in Boston.Clubs: These popular student clubs address community issues through direct service, awareness raising and advocacy:
• Rivers Serves organizes community events
• Encore performs music in the community
• Family Promise Metrowest works with homeless families
• One Love addresses the issue of domestic violence
Rivers Reaches Out: During the COVID-19 pandemic a series of events and ongoing programs were set up to connect Rivers families with community needs:
• Sandwich making: Three times a week Rivers families have made 80 sandwiches for two organizations in Waltham serving food insecure people.
• Spring 2020 Food Drives: These two very successful drives brought in food for a Place to turn in Natick, and Pearl Street kitchen in Framingham.
• Tutoring by Zoom: Over 60 Rivers students tutored elementary school students through the spring and summer at Immigrant Family Services institute in Boston.
Pin Grants: The Parent Independent School Network recently awarded Rivers four grants to financially support our work with Special Olympics, Family Promise Metrowest, and Open Door.
Rivers Conservatory: Elder citizens are invited to concerts, student musicians go into the community to perform, and the Conservatory sponsors an annual "Music for Food" concert which collects food for the food insecure.
Student leadership and advocacy: Students are selected annually to attend the CARE conference, Women2Women, Team Harmony and the INIT program.
Bloodmobile: Twice a year Rivers sponsors the Red Cross Bloodmobile on campus.