Mission & History

Mission Statement
The Rivers School is a coeducational, college preparatory day school for students in grades 6 through 12.

Rivers challenges students to attain their highest levels of excellence in academics, arts, and athletics. We set high standards and expect students to participate actively in their learning. We cultivate a caring, respectful, and collaborative environment that encourages student performance, including demonstration of logical thought, informed and articulate voice, creative vision, and integrity. Rivers is dedicated to preparing its students for leadership in a world that needs their talents, imagination, intellect, and compassion.

The Rivers School Core Values
Our school is a community that upholds the values expressed in the Rivers seal: “Integritas et Sedulitas.”

Integritas: Integrity. We value responsibility, honesty, compassion, diversity, and respect, acknowledging that our actions have a profound impact on ourselves, on others, on the environment, and on the community as a whole.

Sedulitas: Perseverance. We acknowledge that the diligent pursuit of intellectual, creative, physical, and moral excellence is essential to one’s strength of character.
History
The Rivers School was founded as a school for boys in 1915 by educator Robert W. Rivers at the suggestion of a group of Boston-area physicians who believed that the rugged environment of an open-air school would promote good health in days when many young people fell victim to life-threatening, contagious illnesses.

Twenty-five years and one new campus later, The Country Day School for Boys of Boston merged with Rivers. The school continued to grow in popularity and size and moved its location twice more to satisfy increasing demands for classrooms and playing fields. The latter of these moves was in 1960, when Rivers settled on the sprawling Loker Farm acreage bordering Nonesuch Pond in Weston.

After 50 years in Weston, The Rivers School has evolved into a place where student opportunities for personal growth are numerous throughout the year. In addition to a diverse academic, athletic and artistic program, Rivers offers its students -- as well as other youths in the community -- enrichment opportunities through its acclaimed Rivers School Conservatory, Rivers Day Camp and Camp Nonesuch.

As Rivers approaches its 100th anniversary, one fact remains constant. Inspired by an outstanding faculty, Rivers students are encouraged to find their passions and pursue them vigorously. Students continually reach new heights of excellence thanks to a faculty that provides an environment of creativity, challenge and caring.
Back
Image
Next
Timeline
1915     The Rivers School is founded as a school for boys, on Marion Street in Brookline. Robert W. Rivers is Headmaster.

1917     The school moves to 290 Dean Road in Brookline.

1929     Clarence E. Allen becomes Headmaster.

1940     The Country Day School for Boys of Boston merges with Rivers.

1942     The school moves to 436 Heath Street in Chestnut Hill.

1953     George H. Blackwell becomes Headmaster.

1960     The school moves to 333 Winter Street in Weston.

1968     David M. Berwind becomes Headmaster.

1975     The Rivers Music School is founded.

1981     Richard A. Bradley becomes Headmaster.

1989     Rivers becomes coeducational, enrolling girls in grades nine through twelve.

1990-91 Rivers celebrates its 75th anniversary.

1991     David B. Harman becomes Head of School. The Middle School becomes coeducational.

1996     Benjamin D. Williams becomes interim Head of School.

1997     Thomas P. Olverson is appointed Head of School.

2004     Rivers adds a sixth grade to the program, restoring its previous 6-12 grade span.